We’re starting a series dedicated to our beloved creative alumni that we’ve managed to meet along our school’s journey and develop in a feisty creative family, with ideas and jokes flying around our heads. A place where we often brainstorm is in our #Above106 group, our place for future prospects and projects, a way of working on paying it forward to the younger creatives paving their way into the industry.
Amalia Vornicu is one of these hard-working alumni, a Romanian visual designer from Iasi, with a passion for motion. She managed to win the 3rd place in our Cannes Young Lions/Design Semester with her other half Lorena Enache, through their Citrique team. Smart ideas, with a little bit of zest, is the best way to describe their ingenious way of working on the school’s real-life briefs, including George by BCR, Glulam and Love&LOBBY Festival. You can check out their work right here.
Meanwhile, we’ve managed to organize a new series of workshops this summer, at #TalentBet, we’re we happily invited Amalia as a trainer on GIFs, which are a fun, simple, and very satisfying way of getting creative. In this little workshop, the focus will be the 12 principles of animation. They represent the foundation of any motion-savvy thing, from short gifs to lengthy animated films, from hand-drawn animation to vectorial or 3D one. Let us tell you, she surely made an impression!
- What makes you happy at work and beyond?
Music, doodling, and inspiring people.
- A childhood story announcing the creative person you are today.
Spending many hours in Paint at my parents’ internet cafe haha. I guess we had a hint.
- A trend / pre-trend you smell in the air and you would like to embrace & promote.
Hmmm, I wouldn’t call it a trend, but it’s becoming one, so I guess all we have to do is to appreciate it either way: brands being aware of their political impact.
- An inspiration source that always gets you in a creative mood.
My Spotify playlists and day-to-day randomness.
- A project you’ve done and people had a crush on it.
My personal illustration project: Amiverses. It’s also my crush so maybe I’m projecting it, haha!
- A local brand that makes your life brighter, better, nicer.
We have Acaju in Iași, it’s where bright and nice things happen.
- What did you like most about The Alternative School experience?
The opportunity to talk to people I would usually be too shy to ask them for feedback. Their insights were amazing.
- What was your favorite talk and why?
I have two: Ana Curbelo for my illustrator side and Davor Bruketa because of his wittiness and his way of solving design problems with grace.
- How did you react when you found out your position in the final top?
I felt a major sense of “I must be doing something right after all that hahaha.”
- What was the most challenging part?
The feeling that you can always make it better but the deadlines are saying: MAKE IT NOW AND LIVE WITH IT.
- Why do you recommend this experience?
It’s such an insightful and intensive experience, there are lovely people waiting to talk to you and you can learn a lot of useful info in a short amount of time.
- Your message for the Romanian creative community:
Join the Alternative School and see you around 🌸
Artwork from Amalia’s personal archive.
Featured image courtesy of Harper’s Bazaar.